Saturday, July 13, 2013

Fishing


Fishing!

Summer is here and we were so excited to do some Salmon fishing. We missed the first run so we went before the Salmon were running again. In fact, they still aren't running! Sounds like about a week more will do the trick, but we've been out to several places having fun in the sun even if the fish aren't biting (or there is no fish).

Russian River

We have been to the Russian River twice, it is THE place known for Salmon fishing. Brown bear frequent this spot as well. We still didn't expect to see any grizzlies, but within ten minutes of arriving we saw three fishing in the river. I had the dogs on leash and they didn't see them, so we watched them from about 200 ft away until they left and we went a far way down stream to fish. The bears kept coming back for more the whole time we were there, but they left the people alone.


Mama bear watching her two older cubs fish

The first Grizzly



The second grizzly stayed close to his mom

Bringing back his fish

Aaron doing the Kenai Twitch

I look like a boy, but I assure you that is me

The birds kept swooping down and grabbing these, but Kodi and Sadie were quick to chase them off.


He was fishing too. We saw about seven Bald Eagles, but he swooped down in front of us and landed in a nearby tree. They are amazing to watch!


Kodi has no fear of swimming! She loves it. She did get a little cold after swimming to me and then to Aaron and back to me about ten times.

When the fish weren't biting, I enjoyed the sunshine and no mosquitoes.

Kasilof River

Kasilof is past the Kenai and toward the Homer Spit. It's nearby Soldotna, where I'm going to run my marathon. The fishing wasn't that great there either, but at least we caught some. (When I say we, I mean Aaron).

Wearing the Ginormous waders

They def. made my butt look huge!

Now he makes those waders look good


Sadie believes its her job to keep the camp clear of birds. Kodi likes to clean the camp by finding fish guts and eating them. Yuck.

Then Aaron started reeling in fish, his first two were these little guys he snagged on the bottom. Ewww!

Third, Dolly Varden he snagged through the fin


Fourth, Rainbow trout caught through the mouth

Fifth, a huge Rainbow trout! What the crap! I had two on my line, but I lost them both. I guess he's the better fisherman....so far.

A HUGE golden eagle eyeing our catch

Aaron let me hold his huge fish so I didn't feel left out. :) ha ha...

Kenai River

Still ahead of the game. The salmon won't be running for a while. I love Aaron's fishing partner.

A boy and his dog

No luck yet

Girdwood Glacier Creek




We have fished here twice and the second time we saw the fish, but they just weren't biting. We have super bad luck! So far at least. I hope I catch one this summer!!! The mosquitoes sure love biting though. They are horrible this year.

I love it when they are exhausted! So not too many fish, but tired dogs are just as good.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute! Fishing looks fun--good luck for next time. :)

    ReplyDelete