Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Holiday fun

Holiday Fun

I've really been trying to make holidays a bigger deal in our house. Last year we did absolutely nothing for any of the holidays but Christmas. Both of us have to work all holidays, but we managed to buy a couple of bags of candy and carved pumpkins. Our carved pumpkins never ended up rotting even though we had them out for two weeks. I guess the cold deserves some credit for being occasionally awesome.

If you can't tell Aaron and I had a blast!



Ford Mustang

Pumpkin pirate

We didn't even have to feel guilty about eating all the candy because we don't have trick or treaters. Ok, a little guilty because I can practically see the candy transform into thigh fat. I watched a scary movie by myself while Aaron was at work. He is still 3-Midnight. I have become the biggest wuss! The movie wasn't even scary, and I had to keep the light on until he came home. It's like my mind decides right before I go to sleep, "Hmmm...you know what you haven't thought about in a while? Monsters! Spiders. Aliens. Scary people with knives." You get the idea. I'm just proud we did something to celebrate.

Thanksgiving


I realize its a horrible picture but I didn't take any other pictures. My bad. We celebrated Thanksgiving on Monday when we were both off. I had put the ham in the oven and about an hour before I thought I could get everything done, Aaron said we should invite Jamie and Chuck from downstairs to dinner with us. I thought it was a great idea. We had Ham (I rocked it, it was perfect unlike my Easter Ham of 2011 when we had to cut off the first three inches of blackness.), green beans, potatoes, rolls, stuffing, candied yams (courtesy of Aaron), fruit salad, sparkling cider, and delicious Hibiscus tea that Jamie brought. Jamie works with me at the spa, so it was fun to talk with them for a couple of hours.

For dessert we had pumpkin pie from Costco with the real whip cream (we splurged). I also made some mini pumpkin pies for me with gluten free pie crust. Funny story. I baked the crust in cupcake tins and put in my homemade pumpkin pie mix and put them in the fridge while I was dealing with everything else. My mom is a master in the kitchen. I get stressed trying to cook three things at the same time and rewashing bowls and pans to use because we only have three pans. Anyway at the end of a delicious meal I get out the pies and am completely frustrated my gluten free ones have not set. Not usual to have to try several times to make gluten free things work, so I blew it off and ate one of my pumpkin pies, absolutely disgusted with how they tasted. Not til the next day did I remember I hadn't baked them with mix in them! So I had eaten raw pumpkin pie the day before. ha ha. After they were baked it was super yummy and I'm really happy they turned out good!

After they were baked.

I set up the tree the next day. It's so beautiful and I love listening to Christmas music and decorating our tree. It makes it really special that we bought one bigger than us this year. :)







1 comment:

  1. I like your pumpkins! Sorry you forgot to bake your pumpkin pies. My best friend here is Michele. Here entire family is gluten free. I should have sent you a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake struesel I made for them at game night. Everyone loved it. You couldn't tell it was gluten free.

    ReplyDelete