Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Polar Bear Pink Cheeks Triathlon


Polar Bear Pink Cheeks Triathlon 

I signed up for a Sprint Triathlon about a month ago in Seward (which is a little sea port town about two hours away). I was really nervous because a freak snowstorm rolled through and our whole drive was through big fat flakes of snow. Ugghh. But by the time we got there it had turned to rain, and by the time our race started at 11am, the rain had mostly stopped. A sprint consists of a 3.1 mile run, a 6.2 mile bike, and .5 mile swim. I didn't practice the swim at all and was horrified when I realized it was 24 laps instead of the 12 I thought. Thank goodness for my froggy kick that never fails. It was the easiest part. 



They did the Triathlon backwards so we wouldn't have to freeze to death during the bike and the run.
 On your marks...get set....GO!

Can you find me?

There I am! Super excited!



 I ran my fastest 5k yet here. A 26:56 so just under nine minute miles. I was super pleased because I sprained my ankle the week before my race and had to rest the whole week. I thought about not doing it, but I paid to do this race! I had Aaron massage my ankle and stretched out right before the race, but after the race it blew up so bad you can't tell I have an ankle. More rest and ice for a while. :(

The bike portion was absolutely horrible! I didn't really train for the hills and there were so many dirt roads and sharp turns that I didn't feel comfortable getting up to top speed. There were a lot of sections too narrow to pass anyone either. Not the best course. The wind was blowing to top it all off. The mud was the worst. It kept getting in my eyes and I tried to blink it out. My time was 30:31. I could have done a lot better.





I had mud everywhere! I had just ripped off my headband and helmet and I kept wiping off my mouth so I wasn't drinking dirt water. Very attractive look, I think. You should have seen my pants!

They didn't allow spectators in to the swimming pool, so Aaron didn't get to see me swim. They had us shower off and stand in line so we got a little bit of a break while we waited. They started the time when you hopped into the pool. I got 14:13, which I could have gotten down to 10:00 if I had practiced. oh well.

My total time was 1 hour and 13 minutes with transitions. I got 10th in my age group (20-29) and 33rd in overall females and 56 overall. There were about 150 people. It was so much fun!!!! Races are seriously the best! Everyone is so happy and energetic and encouraging. I love talking to everyone and meeting new friends who like doing the same thing. I can't wait for our next race! I really want to do a couple of Olympic triathlons and work myself up to a half Ironman. It's the best! 

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Jen, I am so proud of you -- which I could have been there. I have decided to really start training when school is out, I haven't had time. Love you, DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you are awesome!! I wish I lived closer so we could do them together. I need a running/swimming partner. Love you, Jen. So proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you! Great job! I miss you so much. Can't wait to see you, it's coming up soon. Love you.

    ReplyDelete